There is still much that is good in this world; it may not be readily apparent at times, in fact it may be downright obscure or completely hidden. Truthfully there is much to be pessimistic about today-one simply needs to check out the news to see stories about recent natural disasters, not to mention ongoing terrorism, war, politics and the economy.
Most of us have probably met someone who seems to radiate negativity with every breath they take; who drains all the joy from a room just by entering. Being forced to spend much time around such an unhappy person can have adverse effects on the emotional and even physical health of their audience.
What we desperately need to retain our outlook, our optimism, and our sanity, is to seek out that which is positive around us. By looking around for this hidden gold we can find reasons to be happy even through the most depressing or worrisome events:
- While life will never be perfect or free from stress or strife, we can be thankful for all the simple things in our life; if we wake up in the morning in a secure home, with a comfortable bed, and have food available to eat, we have found something positive in our day.
- Each day we get to spend with loved ones, be they family by blood or choice, or close friends, we are experiencing a positive event.
- Whenever we are privileged to see the power of nature, such as the amazing eclipse many of us recently witnessed, that is another positive.
- Whenever we get the chance to witness or participate in kindness shared with others, such as volunteering or charity for those in need, it is a positive thing.
- Whenever we or someone we care for is found to be healthy or recovering from a devastating injury or illness, it is a very big positive in our day.
- Every day that we can in some way enhance, enrich, or create joy in the lives of those around us, is definitely a positive accomplishment.
All of these positive things together may not always balance out the negative that we face, but they do make a difference; they give us reason to hold on and hope for the future. Sometimes all we can do is hold on to the positives, so that all the negativity and pain and hatred do not overwhelm us. By actively seeking out the positives in our day, we can refresh the spirit of optimism, both in ourselves and in those around us.
Here’s to filling our lives with positive thoughts, and turning those into positive actions.